So it’s going to be a food week! Today I’ll start with breakfast, a muffin recipe! Blackberry muffins with greek yogurt and steel cut oats.
When buying fruit out of season, it’s always a guessing game as to when it’s going to go bad. I had boughten some blackberries a few days ago and decided I needed to do something with them before they went bad. I decided on blackberry muffins! I looked through a lot of recipes and ended up pulling different things from a few them and created my own to make them somewhat of a complete breakfast? Or really so I can say they have all of these things in them, they must be healthy 🙂 I tend to make the batter the night before to bake the next day because they can be time consuming.
Here is my muffin recipe:
- 1 cup precooked steel cut oats I usually do 1/2 cup oats to 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup greek vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup oil I used canola but vegetable oil should be good too
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ~ 1 cup blackberries carefully cut into smaller pieces, I quartered mine
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- in a medium bowl, mix the oats, yogurt and honey
- in a small bowl, mix oil egg, and sugar until well combined
- combine sugar mixture with oat mixture
- sift the flour, salt, baking soda and powder today and add to wet ingredients
- gently fold in blackberries, they can lightly coated in flour to prevent them from sinking in the batter
- bake, in a greased or lined muffin tin, for ~ 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean
I would say that this recipe makes around 12 muffins, but I don’t really know because I use the muffin tin and my George Foreman, don’t judge me :), and those muffins are tiny compared to my muffin tin for my oven. Also, you don’t have to use blackberries. Blueberries work great with this recipe too!
I hope you love these muffins!